So it’s no secret I love concrete. In fact several of my pieces are made with concrete…scored, texturized and spread across a wooden panel. Some interesting facts about concrete are:
- The original use of concrete has been traced back to ancient Egypt, used as an infill material for the pyramids.
- Concrete is used twice as much in construction than all other building materials like reinforcement, timber, etc.
- It is the most used material in the world in terms of volume.
- The Roman-constructed is still the world’s largest unreinforced concrete dome.
- Thomas Edison held 49 concrete patents and experimented with precast concrete houses filled with concrete furniture, pianos and refrigerators.
- Huge concrete dishes known as ‘Concrete ears’ or ‘sound mirrors’ were erected during the World War II to detect approaching aircraft. Microphones were suspended at the focal points of these dishes, like today’s D2H dishes.
- Now-a-days, construction companies are using scented form release agents to impart a pleasant smell in concrete, the most famous being bubble gum.